Minimum wind in PWA slalom?

• What is the actual minimum wind they run heats in PWA Slalom ? Officially it's said to be constant 7 knots but looking at registered equipment on competitions in 2008 (typically iSonic 133 or 122 and 9,0 as largest gear), will they really be on the plane with that combo in only 7 knots...? Would think a formula would just be on the plane in those winds, or?

/ Nick

• I think in reality it´s more like 10 knots. 7 knots would really stretch it, even for a pro. A skilled formula surfer can start planing in about 6 knots and then there´s not much of up- and downwind surfing. Take away 2-3 m² and 15 cm of width and you get the idea. I´d say it´s impossible unless your weight is below 60 kg.

• Thanks for your replu Kris. What you wrote perfectly makes sense, 10 knots sounds more realistic as minimum for PWA slalom.

Read somewhere that if the wind drops below 7 knots, the race may or shall be cancelled. Think the probabillity that the wind drops below 7 knots during a race is very large if you start out in 7 knots....

• I'm not sure, but if you follow the PWA Liveticker it sounds that the wind has to be more than 7knots constantly. Maybe it means not the average windspeed. If it means the wind has to blow with more than 7knots at every time, you will have an average around 8-9 knots with gusts maybe up to 11-12. That could be enough for the Pros.

Don't know, but could be ;)